Wednesday, May 12, 2004

kitty


            O      I
           am     my 
          own    way
         of being in
         view and yet
         invisible at
         once Hearing 
          everything
          you see I
          see all of 
         whatever you 
        can have heard
       even inside the 
      deep silences of
     black silhouettes
    like these images
   of furry surfaces
  darkly playing cat
 and mouse with your
doubts about whether
other minds can ever
be drawn from hiding
and made to be heard
in inferred language
 I can speak only in
  your voice Are you
   done with my shadow
    That thread of dark
     word
      can
     all
    run
    out
     now
      and
       end
        our
      tale


John Hollander. Kitty, Black domestic shorthair

No comments: